Senior COBOL Developer
Posted on: March 13, 2023
Maximus is seeking Senior COBOL Developers to support our
Internal Revenue Service (IRS) client.
- Create, update, unit test, and maintain IBM COBOL programs
- Update documentation such as Functional Specification Packages
(FSPs) or Program Requirements Packages (PRPs) and/or Visio
diagrams, and/or spreadsheets as needed
- Track requirements and create/execute unit test cases
- Write, analyze, review and/or provide comments on documentation
such as Unified Work Requests (UWR), UWR responses and Internal
Revenue Manuals (IRM), Interface Control Documents (ICD) Computer
Operator Handbooks (COH)
- Rewrite programs, using workflow chart and diagram, and
applying knowledge of computer capabilities, tax processing subject
matter expertise, and symbolic logic.
- Perform or direct the revision, repair, or expansion of
existing programs to increase operating efficiency or adapt to new
- Consult with managerial, engineering, and technical personnel
to clarify program intent, identify problems, and suggest
- Perform systems analysis and programming tasks to maintain and
control the use of computer systems software
- Compile and write documentation of program development and
subsequent revisions, inserting comments in the coded instructions
so others can understand the program
- Prepare detailed workflow charts and diagrams that describe
input, output, and logical operation, and convert them into a
series of instructions coded in a computer language
- Consult with and assist testers in the development, SAT and FIT
environmentsLocation of work is remote in US.*This position is
contingent on funding.Project Minimum Requirements:
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university
required; an additional four (4) years of related work experience
can substitute for a degree
- At least five (5) years of relevant experience required
- At least four (4) years of experience with IBM COBOL
- Experience with DB2 and IBM DB2 utilities
- Experience with CICS
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated success in client support
- Ability to interface with all levels of management
- Ability to perform complex tasks with minimal supervision and
- Excellent time management, scheduling and organizational
- Ability to work well independently or in a team setting
- Preferred qualifications and experience include: Experience
with IRS processing systems; experience with Assembler (ALC), SQL,
JCL, Batch processing.Additional Requirements, as per
- Candidates must meet requirements to obtain and maintain an IRS
Minimum Background Investigation (MBI) clearance (active IRS
Moderate Risk MBI is a plus).
- Candidates must be a US Citizen or a Legal Permanent Resident
(Green Card status) for at least three (3) years, and Federal Tax
compliantEssential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead the development of software solutions that will meet or
exceed business requirements; the development effort includes
designing and implementing modules to the system specifications,
conducting unit testing, troubleshooting issues and producing
detailed proposals to resolve issues.
- May evaluate new coding techniques, tools, modules, and
implementation as appropriate.
- Lead and mentor entry and mid-level developers.
- Consult on requirements elicitation and definition.
- Design software solutions per systems requirements.
- Code software solutions per designs.
- Code reviews, unit test, and integrate coded modules.
- Assist other developers in resolving issues by providing
guidance and training.
- Support testing and remediate defects.
- Support users through troubleshooting and analysis of
production logs and data.
- Investigate new solutions, tools, products, and techniques to
incorporate into coding standards.Minimum Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in related field.
- 5-7 years of related experience required.
- Ability to perform complex tasks with minimal supervision and
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Computer Professional Job Profile.MAXIMUS INTRODUCTIONSince
1975, Maximus has operated under its founding mission of Helping
Government Serve the People, enabling citizens around the globe to
successfully engage with their governments at all levels and across
a variety of health and human services programs. Maximus delivers
innovative business process management and technology solutions
that contribute to improved outcomes for citizens and higher levels
of productivity, accuracy, accountability and efficiency of
government-sponsored programs. With more than 30,000 employees
worldwide, Maximus is a proud partner to government agencies in the
United States, Australia, Canada, Saudi Arabia, Singapore and the
United Kingdom. For more information, visit
https://www.maximus.com.EEO STATEMENTSince 1975, Maximus has
operated under its founding mission of Helping Government Serve the
People, enabling citizens around the globe to successfully engage
with their governments at all levels and across a variety of health
and human services programs. Maximus delivers innovative business
process management and technology solutions that contribute to
improved outcomes for citizens and higher levels of productivity,
accuracy, accountability and efficiency of government-sponsored
programs. With more than 30,000 employees worldwide, Maximus is a
proud partner to government agencies in the United States,
Australia, Canada, Saudi Arabia, Singapore and the United Kingdom.
For more information, visit https://www.maximus.com.PAY
TRANSPARENCYMaximus compensation is based on various factors
including but not limited to job location, a candidate's education,
training, experience, expected quality and quantity of work,
required travel (if any), external market and internal value
analysis including seniority and merit systems, as well as internal
pay alignment. Annual salary is just one component of Maximus's
total compensation package. Other rewards may include short- and
long-term incentives as well as program-specific awards.
Additionally, Maximus provides a variety of benefits to employees,
including health insurance coverage, life and disability insurance,
a retirement savings plan, paid holidays and paid time off.
Compensation ranges may differ based on contract value but will be
commensurate with job duties and relevant work experience. An
applicant's salary history will not be used in determining
compensation.POSTED MIN - USD $52,100.00/Yr.POSTED MAX - USD
Keywords: MAXIMUS, Bowie , Senior COBOL Developer, IT / Software / Systems , Bowie, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...