Accounting Associate I
Company: Bowie State University
Posted on: May 24, 2023
Job Specification Information
Job Posting Number S345NE
Position Title Accounting Associate I
Class Title Contingent I
Regular or Contingent II Contingent I (less than 6 mos)
Desired Start Date
Grade/Range $45,000 - $50,000
Open Date 03/21/2023
Open Until Filled Yes
Duties and Responsibilities
1) Verify, process and submit invoices for timely payment to the state Comptroller office utilizing the People Soft Financials AP and Oracles Cloud.
2) Ensure invoices are processed in accordance with the university policies; COMAR regulations and the procedures established by GAD (General Accounting Division).
3) Verify invoice computations.
4) Work with various offices, departments and central receiving to resolve issues related to the receipt of goods.
5) Verify financial coding used by departments to ensure accuracy for items invoiced and accuracy of financial records.
6) Verify disbursement transmittals, make necessary corrections, and assemble the supporting documentation for review and approval.
7) Ensure accuracy of vendor information recorded in Oracles Cloud vendor tables and update vendors as necessary based on vendor-supplied information.
8) Respond to inquiries from vendors and departments concerning invoices and payments, and expediently resolve difficult problems with tact and diplomacy.
9) Confer with vendors, GAD , departmental staff, chairs/directors, and other internal and external entities to facilitate transactions processing and resolving other various issues.
10) Maintain separate files for open invoices, paid invoices, and disbursement transmittal.
11) Prepare and submit vendor maintenance forms to the General Accounting Division
( GAD ) to resolve payment issues related to address changes, vendor updates and vendor activation.
12) Perform special projects and other related tasks as assigned by the AP Manager.
These are the job duties for required of the position
A high school diploma or GED required.A minimum of (9) college credits in accounting, finance, or business-related field preferred.
A minimum of one (1) year of experience related to accounts payable or another related field.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
---Must have good communication, organization, and interpersonal skills. Must demonstrate ability to use Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel.
---Must have a general knowledge of complex accounts payable procedures and practices. Knowledge of procedures used in processing transactions in an automated accounting system, preferably Oracles Cloud.
---Must have a general knowledge of bookkeeping and accounting principles and mathematical methods and techniques. Skilled in performing mathematical computations, reviewing and processing financial documents; reconciling financial data; operating calculators, keyboards, manual and automated office equipment, personal computers; and data input.
---Skill in interpreting and applying State laws, policies, regulations and rules to agency accounting operations.
---Knowledge of generally accepted auditing standards.
---Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with faculty, staff, students, external agency fiscal staff, contractors, and vendors.
Conditions of Employment
An offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background check and verification of credentials. Proof of US citizenship or eligibility for U.S. employment will be required prior to employment (Immigration Control Act of 1986).
Please be advised, COVID -19 vaccinations are encouraged but not required for faculty and staff to be employed at Bowie State University. This protocol is subject to change.
Bowie State University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Keywords: Bowie State University, Bowie , Accounting Associate I, Accounting, Auditing , Bowie, Maryland
here to apply!